Coordinator, Public Affairs
Industrial Biotechnology Sector
EuropaBio, the voice of Europe’s dynamic biotechnology industry, is currently seeking a motivated Industrial Biotechnology Coordinator to join the Industrial Biotechnology Team for a one-year contract, with the possibility of renewal.
Industrial biotechnology is used to develop new enzymes for industrial use, which can convert renewable raw materials (such as crops, or crop residues) into everyday products such as chemicals, plastics, fuels, textiles, cosmetics, or home care products. As such, the technology is central to developing a smarter, more sustainable circular bioeconomy, based on renewables. Industrial Biotech is one of Europe’s strengths in making a transition towards a more sustainable future.
The successful candidate will be working closely with industry experts within a dynamic multinational team. This is a junior role in public affairs that aims to provide valuable insights, contacts and experience for candidates interested in industry, circular bioeconomy, and sustainability.
The successful candidate:
- Must have full permission to work in Belgium;
- Should hold a degree in political sciences/EU affairs, law, or science relevant to biotechnology;
- Must have a very high standard of both written and spoken English (office language);
- Should possess an interest in and understanding of EU decision-making processes and institutions, including regulatory agencies;
- Shall enjoy a strong team-based approach to work, within the Industrial Biotech Council and wider EuropaBio activities, including communications, the National Associations Council and SME Platform;
- Awareness and understanding of EU Green Deal and its opportunities and challenges for innovation is a plus;
- Should be able to produce work of a high standard, to use initiative and to regularly report on progress;
- Should be able to begin in March 2022.
- Work with the EuropaBio team and Members to identify policy and regulatory priorities for industrial biotechnology;
- Work with the Industrial Biotechnology (IB) Council and wider EuropaBio team to deliver Council activities, including meetings;
- Monitor various EFSA and other agency activities, including public consultations, publication of relevant documents, workshops, etc., supporting the preparation of responses and engaging with members as relevant;
- Monitor EU activities linked to the EU Green Deal and associated initiatives (e.g. Taxonomy, Sustainable Food Systems) including public consultations, publication of relevant documents, workshops, etc., supporting the preparation of responses and engaging with members as relevant;
- Assist in researching and drafting industrial biotech policy documents;
- Assist with meeting organisation including preparation for working group and Council meetings and assist with the drafting of minutes and preparatory documents;
- Attend external events/webinars and prepare briefing notes;
- Support work across EuropaBio to ensure effective external communication of Industrial Biotech Council activities and to stakeholders through the SME Platform and National Associations Council. This also includes contributing to the delivery of EuropaBio events.
Our Commitment to You
- An engaging position, with room to grow within the team and the ability to take ownership of your own tasks;
- Exposure to a pertinent industry at the centre of Europe’s green transformation, and a key enabling technology for future medical and sustainable innovation;
- Motivated colleagues and expert membership at the top of their field who readily impart knowledge;
- A comfortable office space, with an excellent view of Brussels and an abundant supply of coffee and the occasional cake.
- EuropaBio recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, sexual orientation, age, disability, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
Terms and conditions
- A one-year contract (CDD), 40 hours/week
- In addition to 20 legal holidays, 12 RTT days and end-of-year closing.
- Hospital, travel, and group insurance
- Meal vouchers
- Public transport costs
- The possibility to telework 2 days/week (outside of COVID measures)
How to apply
To apply, please send a CV and a cover letter to Majken Ekam-Nielsen, HR & Finance Manager firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “IB Coordinator” by February 11th 2022.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
No Europass CVs please.