Brussels, 23 November 2022
EuropaBio hosted its inaugural Healthcare BioForum on October 5, 2022. The roundtable brought together representatives from SMEs, large companies, DGs GROW, Santé and RTD, European Parliament and Member States to discuss links between innovation, investment, and excellence in European healthcare biotechnology. It had the aim to develop dialogue and momentum towards future thriving and competitive Europe through biotechnology innovation.
‘’The Healthcare BioForum was an outstanding opportunity to bring together our community and EU policymakers to discuss how we can support European healthcare biotechnology sector. Our companies are working very hard to provide with excellent treatment European patients and we need to design the right environment for innovation to flourish. Only then the sector will thrive well, making Europe a leader of healthcare biotechnology in the world.’’, said Dr Claire Skentelbery, Director General of EuropaBio.
Open discussions revealed a common goal to make Europe a leader in healthcare biotechnology, starting with reinforcing dialogue and collaboration between industry and public actors, both at EU and national levels.
Key outcomes from the Healthcare BioForum
- Europe needs a regulatory system fit for the 21st Century: efficient, flexible, and future proof
- The EU’s legislative framework should ensure stability and predictability to attract investments
- Europe’s scientific excellence can be translated into therapeutic innovation by supporting the biotechnology ecosystem
- Europe should utilise the right tools and resources to ensure a competitive environment in the region
- The EU innovation ecosystem should be fostered: From academia to startups, to established companies alike
EuropaBio’s inaugural Healthcare BioForum came at a critical time for Europe’s development towards a global centre of excellence, with benefits for patients and economies alike. It demonstrated that stakeholders have a shared vision for what Europe can, and should achieve. Innovators, policy makers, and facilitators can each bring their own expertise, perspective, and role. EuropaBio will help deliver the vision into reality across stakeholders for Europe, and the Healthcare BioForum establishes a long-term platform for open and forward-looking discussion.
Read the full event report with recommendations HERE.