Brussels, 17 February 2022
– EuropaBio has signed the EU Code of Conduct for Responsible Food Business and Marketing Practices
, a voluntary initiative with which the European industrial biotech sector commits to contribute and support the transition towards a more sustainable food system that it has already initiated.
Industrial biotechnology is a Key Enabling Technology (KET) and a central pillar of innovation in Europe. It provides living microorganisms and fermentation products that are used in sectors such as food and feed, agriculture, detergents, paper and pulp, textiles, fuels, bioenergy, and specialty chemicals.
It is in this context that EuropaBio signed up
to the EU Code of Conduct for Responsible Food Business and Marketing Practices
. By signing the Code of Conduct, EuropaBio committed to the obligations listed in the Code and pledges to:
• endorse the aspirational objectives set out in this Code (where applicable)
• promote and disseminate this Code with(in) its constituencies
• encourage their members to align their sustainability actions and/or business practices to the aspirational objectives and targets of the Code and invite them, on a voluntary basis, to adhere to this Code, as appropriate
• explore the possibility of developing sector-specific tools and resources in support of this Code
• provide, on an annual basis, a report of their activities in support of this Code, which will be published on an open dedicated website
• continue to engage in dialogue with other food chain/systems actors and EU and international policy-makers to forge relationships, exchange good practices and discuss challenges encountered, learn from each other (studies, projects) and create better mutual understanding, and identify opportunities for collaboration and potential partnership.